Dagenham 1 Morecambe 3

Last updated : 10 April 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Dagenham and Redbridge had only a few days without their manager after Garry Hill quit last Saturday but it looked as though a lot of work had already been done on the training pitch.

Unfortunately, the Daggers could not convert this into a win against Morecambe.

The first game for the Daggers without Hill saw them face the team they faced in the play-off semi-final last year and this tie was just as electric.

Mark Janney came out of the tracks like a bullet from a gun and was unlucky to see his shot turned away by Craig Mawson for a corner early on.

But it didn't take Morecambe long to make their mark on the game as Garry Hunter drove a 25-yard effort goalwards but keeper Tony Roberts plucked the ball from its flight to deny him.

Roberts was to be a further thorn in Morecambe's side after Ashley Vickers' handball in the area saw Danny Carlton step up to the spot but the former Welsh stopper got down to his right to hold the ball dead on the line.

There was to be no such heroics three minutes later when Morecambe were awarded their second penalty after Alan Kimble lunged in on Carlton on the edge of the box.

This time Wayne Curtis had the honours and got the better of Roberts.

Despite their encouraging opening the Daggers fell further behind four minutes before the break when Carlton skipped into the box and shot across Roberts to score off the inside of the far post.

Morecambe wasted no time in trying to stretch their lead in the second half as Carlton saw his close-range shot smothered by Roberts before Terry McFlynn saw his follow-up effort fall wide of the target.

The Daggers weren't down and out though as Tony Perfect slipped through Chris Moore with the type of ball that he just doesn't waste.

The finish was superb as he curled the ball into the far corner past a rooted Mawson.

It could have been 2-2 seconds later as Chris Piper crossed for Danny Shipp but he missed a gilt-edged chance as he instead headed against the post from just inches out.

Play was swinging end-to-end and it was Morecambe who were soon back on the attack with Hunter having a pop from 25 yards bringing an excellent save from Roberts as he leapt to tip the ball over the bar.

The pressure then paid off moments later as Kieron Walmsley crossed for Ryan Sugden to hammer home from close range to cap a miserable result for the Daggers after what had been a promising start.