Morecambe 4 Forest Green Rovers 0

Last updated : 03 April 2004 By Footymad Previewer

A hat-trick from striker Wayne Curtis gave Morecambe three very comfortable points.

Curtis, last season's top-scorer, marked his return to first-team action after a recent spell on loan at Barrow with three well taken goals which gave the Shrimps a Conference double over Forest Green.

The Morecambe striker sparked the rout with a 19th minute strike and added two more in the final twelve minutes of a game that Morecambe dominated.

In between, Ryan Sugden also got his name on the scoresheet as Forest Green produced very little.

The visitors started the game brightly, however, with Alex Sykes looking lively. On eight minutes Sykes blasted a 30-yard free-kick over the bar but was much closer four minutes later with a well struck volley which flashed just inches wide of the right hand post.

Curtis signalled his intentions on ten minutes when he cut in from the left and produced a right foot shot that Steve Perrin did well to get down to.

Curtis was not to be denied however and took advantage of some slack defending to open the scoring on 19 minutes.

The visiting defence failed to deal with a long ball and Curtis stormed straight down the middle through a gaping hole to side-foot a right-foot effort past Perrin.

Ten minutes from half-time, Morecambe added a second in similar circumstances. Again a long ball caused problems and, as Jon Richardson hesitated, Sugden nipped in to volley past Perrin from an acute angle.

The visitors began the second half as brightly as they started the first with Sykes drilling a shot on goal which was easily gathered by Craig Mawson, but from there it was Morecambe who once again dominated.

On the hour substitute Terry McFlynn played in Gary Thompson but his shot on the turn crashed against the crossbar.

Perrin was called into action again when, on 70 minutes, he saved well from a Garry Hunter volley and a Stewart Drummond shot, but was helpless to stop the home side adding a third 12 minutes from time.

Nippy substitute Danny Carlton delivered a low cross from the right which deflected off a visiting defender straight into Curtis' path and he side-footed home from six yards out.

In the final minute, Curtis rounded off an enjoyable afternoon when he latched on to a David Perkins throughball to produce a fine right foot shot which beat Perrin low to his right.

It was the third win in a week for Morecambe and boss Jim Harvey was understandably pleased with his side's efforts.

He said: "Although we tired a little towards the end we produced some good football and were comfortable winners." He added: "I am delighted for Wayne because he is playing out of position on the left but has applied himself superbly and fully deserves his goals."