Nuneaton 1 Morecambe 1

Last updated : 22 January 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Midfielder Richard Lavery netted his first goal for relegation-threatened Nuneaton to earn them a precious point against play-off hopefuls Morecambe.

Lavery struck three minutes into time added on at the end of the second half to cancel out Wayne Curtis' earlier strike just past the hour mark.

Neither side showed much enterprise in a drab opening quarter in which the only chance fell to Boro's Mark Quayle whose mazy run ended with a tame shot straight at keeper Craig Mawson.

The striker's determination then earned him possession soon after and, from his low cross, Sam Ricketts fired high over from 15 yards while the latter's angled drive just before the half hour flew high over the bar.

Morecambe continued to press as The Shrimps defended desperately but in a rare break Garry Thomson headed over an empty net after home keeper Chris MacKenzie had been caught in no-man's land from a Dave Perkins centre.

But it was the hosts who were the more dominant.

Carl Alford headed inches wide from a Jason Peake free-kick and Ricketts grazed the post with a skidding 20-yard shot.

After the interval, Morecambe looked far more purposeful and forced keeper MacKenzie twice into action as he parried away a Curtis drive from the edge of the box and then pushed Stewart Drummonds' optimistic long-range drive onto the bar before gratefully clutching the rebound.

At the opposite end, Barry Williams was inches away from making contact on Ricketts' in-swinging free-kick but it was the seasiders who were beginning to look the more threatening.

On the hour, MacKenzie had to be alert to turn aside Thompson's crossed shot but 90 seconds later he was beaten when Curtis raced clear on to Alan Morgan's long punt forward and coolly slotted home from the edge of the area.

On 80 minutes, Mawson had to go down low to push away Marc McGregor's faint flick from Ricketts' downward header while Lavery's glancing header at the near post flew straight into the arms of Mawson.

However, deep into time added on Quayle's quick throw found McGregor and he squared to Lavery whose 25-yard shot caught Mawson, who could only push the ball upwards and into his own goal.