Yeovil 2 Morecambe 0

Last updated : 18 January 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Yeovil stretched their lead at the top of the Nationwide Conference table thanks to two late goals.

But for a long time it looked as though Craig Mawson, the Morecambe keeper, would break their hearts.

He made four superb saves from one on one situations in the first half and when he was finally beaten in the 73rd minute the visitors protested Yeovil had been allowed to take the free kick far too quickly.

Yeovil's Gary Johnson said: “I was pleased to see our strikers with those goals. I was all prepared to give them a roasting for missing the first-half chances.

“Having said that, Morecambe are a good side and I would definitely tip them for the play-offs. They have some very good players, an excellent manager and like us are a very professional club.” Yeovil's first clear chance fell to Kirk Jackson in the 18th minute. He had a clear run at goal but Mawson came out smartly to make a brilliant save and the Yeovil striker put the rebound over the bar.

Eight minutes later it was the turn of Yeovil's other striker Andy Lindegaard to be thwarted by the keeper after he had done well to cut into the box and create an opening.

In the 45th minute Jackson embarked on another great run finishing with a shot just wide of Mawson's near post, and right on the whistle Mawson made the best save of the lot when it seemed Lindegaard must score.

In the second half, Morecambe showed up well as an attacking force and Yeovil midfielder Lee Johnson - the manager’s son – admitted: “We had to put in a tremendous work rate to get the result- but we were always a team that will do that.' It was Johnson that provided the passes that gave Yeovil both goals in the 73rd minute. He quickly took a free-kick - Morecambe claiming the referee had nit given the signal for the free kick to be taken and substitute Terry Skiverton flicked on for Lindegaard to provide the sort of finish that even the magnificent Mawson could not save.

With plenty of attacking options Morecambe went looking for the equaliser and in the 86th minute substitute Wayne Curtis pulled a good save from Chris Weale, who had been virtually unemployed compared with his opposite number.

There was still anxiety in the Yeovil ranks until deep into stoppage time when they carved an opening through a stretched visitors defence and Johnson slipped the ball through for Jackson to knock in for the clincher.